Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Gods Themselves, Isaac Asimov

Title: The Gods Themselves
Author: Isaac Asimov
Rating: OK

This was a recommendation from somewhere, but I honestly don't recall who it was that suggested it.

It was originally published in 1972 and it reads like it, which, alas, is a problem I have with a lot of science fiction of late.

In this one Asimov was playing with parallel universes, parallel people/beings in those universes, and the end of the world (or worse).  Alas he was also writing about the kinds of personal interactions and sex his various characters might have, and (IMO) not writing about those things all that well.

And for as bright as he was I don't feel like he did the science justice here.  The potential for ending the world could have been handled in a much more convincing way.

The end result isn't all that interesting, sad to say.

Still, there was a story here, and it held my interest to some degree.  Not awful, just not as good as I think it could have been.

And yet this won both a Hugo and a Nebula in 1973.  Really?  My standards must be really different.