Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sign of Chaos, Roger Zelazny

Title: Sign of Chaos
Author: Roger Zelazny
Rating: Great!

The second Amber series continues to gain steam. Each and every character that appears for more than a paragraph or two is here for a reason, and Zelazny isn't afraid to throw in new characters for good measure.

This story opens with a vignette in something like Wonderland of Alice's Looking Glass fame, complete with white rabbit and both a bandersnatch and a jabberwock. And there is an explanation for this - and the explanation makes sense; at least in this universe.

The number of plots and sub-plots is huge, and, as before, which people are Merlin's friends vs. his enemies is not at all clear.

I was trying to read myself to sleep last night, blew right past the end of this book, and wound up well into the next one before I decided that I wouldn't sleep if I didn't put the tome down. Of course, this morning the first thing I did was pick it back up again. Thus I have another review to write as well.
  1. Nine Princes In Amber
  2. The Guns of Avalon
  3. Sign of the Unicorn
  4. The Hand of Oberon
  5. The Courts of Chaos
  6. Trumps of Doom
  7. Blood of Amber
  8. Sign of Chaos
  9. Knight of Shadows
  10. Prince of Chaos