Friday, November 30, 2007

The Sirens of Titan, Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Title:
The Sirens of Titan
Author:
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Rating:
Good

I've finally found another Vonnegut novel that tells a single story in a more-or-less linear fashion. The Sirens of Titan is an interesting tale about a man spread out in both time and space, and what he does to specific individuals and mankind itself as a result. It was fun to read, though I could pretty easily put it down whenever needed. There's an element of black humor to it that I enjoyed. The moral - if there is one - is a lot less clear, however. The last few pages kind of confused that for me, but that seems to be a Vonnegut thing. He'd bash you over the head with an obvious point for a long time and then - wham! - change points of view abruptly and leave you wondering what he really thought.

I liked this one a lot more than Breakfast of Champions, and I'd put it fairly close to Cat's Cradle though that one has held up better over time and was a tiny bit more realistic, which works for me in the case of Vonnegut.

Check out The Sirens of Titan if you can. It's not a masterpiece, but it's alright.