Monday, June 27, 2005

No Germs Allowed, Winkler G. Weinberg, MD

Title: No Germs Allowed
Author: Winkler G. Weinberg, MD
Rating: Good

No Germs Allowed is a good overview of various infectious illnesses, and how to avoid them. The sections of use will vary a lot based on who you are and your lifestyle, but I found the entire volume to be an interesting read.

Winkler's presentation makes sense - he doesn't say "Don't do X". Instead he says "If you're going to do X, then take the following precautions. yadda yadda yadda." X can be anything from walking in the woods, to traveling to foreign countries, to... well... more personal activities.

As I have essentially zero medical training, I found the discussions interesting and relevant in most cases. I don't do much overseas travel, but I live in an area with Lyme disease, so his comments on that are very interesting to me, for example.

If you're already relatively knowledgeable about infectious disease, this isn't the book for you. If, however, you're looking for a good overview, this is a great place to start.

Reviewing this also allows me to plug the magazine where I learned about it: Science News. That little weekly magazine is keeping me up to date in a lot of areas, and I highly recommend it.