Saturday, December 22, 2007

Serenity, Joss Whedon

Title: Serenity
Author: Joss Whedon
Rating: Good

Some time back I reviewed a book containing the shooting scripts for about half of the Firefly TV episodes. I enjoyed it, and I like the show. For those who don't know, Firefly is an oddball combination of science fiction, western, and far eastern motifs. It had a great cast of characters and a complex world full of stories to be told. Alas it was canceled far too soon by FOX television for no good reason. The only place you can see it now (as far as I know, anyway) is on DVD, and it is worth seeing.

A movie was made more than a year after the cancellation to bring the story arc to a close. That movie, and this book, are both titled Serenity.

I won't tell you Serenity is the best science fiction movie I've seen. It's not, but it's pretty good. And when combined with the back story from the Firefly TV series, it got under my skin.

This book consists mostly of the original shooting script. To that add the transcript of an interview with Joss Whedon and a few production memos on major aspects of the movie - music, light, etc. Oh, and a bunch of photos from the production of the movie as well.

It's a fun read. Nothing spectacular, but fun. If you're a fan of the show and/or movie, you might like it, but I'd probably buy it used or get it from a library (if you can find it there).