Friday, July 21, 2006

Timequake, Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Title: Timequake
Author: Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Rating: Good

I wish I knew what to call Timequake. I definitely enjoyed it, and there is a preface that documents (accurately, I assume) the mechanism by which it came into existence. But how to categorize the writing style and content is beyond me.

Several places I've checked say the plot revolves around the life of the fictional SF author (and alter ego of Vonnegut himself) Kilgore Trout and a "timequake" - an event in which the universe does something odd, causing 10 years of history to repeat itself. That may be true, but if so it is an unusual definition of "plot" by my standards. I guess I consider this to be a semi-autobiographical novel, something like a memoir. It's not really that, though, nor is it a biography, as there are many fictional elements to it.

But it's a fun read. Vonnegut takes a lot of unexpected turns - left, right, U, and other - in the process of telling this... er... tale.

Recommended. If you read it, please tell me what you think it is.