Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Food Of The Gods And How It Came To Earth, H. G. Wells

Title:
The Food Of The Gods And How It Came To Earth
Author:
H. G. Wells
Rating:
Terrible!

The Food Of The Gods And How It Came To Earth is the second to last novel by H. G. Wells in the collected works that I am reading.

It is awful. In addition it is trite, bad, a waste of paper and ink, poorly thought out, poorly written, lacking in original thought, and dreary. Did I mention it was awful?

During the first portion I was amused solely because it was so bad it it came across as a caricature of what a novel about scientists - bad scientists in this case - would be like. Then it goes off into all kinds of pointless and poorly thought out social speculations.

As if I had to tell you, the "science" here is terrible too, with so many holes it could be mistaken for swiss cheese at close range. And none of his characters has the slightest bit of common sense at all. None. They are all total morons, every last one.

Don't bother with this one. Please don't waste your time on it. It was published in 1904 and it seems impossible to think it was taken seriously even then.

I am going to grit my teeth and try the last novel in this collection - In The Days Of The Comet - but I hold out little hope for it being any good.