Saturday, November 19, 2005

Things My Girlfriend And I Have Argued About, Mil Millington

Title: Things My Girlfriend And I Have Argued About
Author: Mil Millington
Rating: Good

A while back I reviewed A Certain Chemistry by the same author - Mil Millington.

That one was funny. This one is better. Part of that is me... the main character in this book is a bit more approachable to me than was the main character in A Certain Chemistry. (My review of that book mentions that the subject matter of that book - a man having an affair - was tougher for me to read for some reason.) Both books see the author pummeling his character with all kinds of situations that would make a real person break down and cry, and yet they seem real enough that the willing suspension of disbelief isn't violated. (At least it wasn't for me.)

Though I am certain this book is fiction, Millington probably puts a fair bit of his real life into it. Mostly in the form of the arguments described between Pel and Ursula - the main characters - not in the actual plot.

Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About is a comedy about, well, someone who accepts a promotion he shouldn't, I guess. It's hard to know where to start describing it, really. The contents wander all over, covering things as diverse as raising children, a car chase, remodeling a house, a Chinese triad, and many, many other items you wouldn't think were related. The writing is good, and laugh-out-loud funny at many points.

I highly recommend this one.